In social media, the 80-20 rule basically means that we talk about our own business 20% of the time and the other 80% of the time, we post, link, and promote other information our audience appreciates. Recently, those numbers popped up in a different context when I heard a wardrobe consultant say that most women wear only 20% of their clothes 80% of the time. Now THAT is an interesting application of the 80-20 rule applied to fashion.
Summertime and the Pickings are Slim
This proportion is most likely true during the summer. Just think about it – summer is a really short season unless you live in perpetually warm climates like sunny Florida or other tropical states or countries. There aren’t enough sunny days and balmy nights to wear all of our breezy beautiful sundresses and when it’s super hot out, we tend to wear our most comfortable pieces over and over.
Retailers are aware that the season is short and if you go to freshen up last year’s summer wardrobe at your local favorite store, you may notice a less extensive selection than other seasons. Why is that? Basically, summer fashion is not a money maker for retailers. Even in warmer all year round climates, we don’t usually spend our money on clothes shopping in summer months; we spend our money on vacations and getaways, sending our children to camp, more frequent dinners out, gardening and other outdoor activities.
Basic Items for a Summer Wardrobe
Remembering that the 80-20 rule applied to fashion; how you make use of what you own, you don’t really need much to round out a summer wardrobe. There are up to 10 basic items you should have in your closet that can get you through the short summer months looking good that retailers typically have available.
1. A few tees in your favorite colors
2. An outer neutral layer- one you love, be it a wrap, linen shirt, denim jacket or zip-up sweatshirt
3. A nicely fitting white and or khaki bottom – could be a short skirt, jeans, ankle pants or slacks
4. At least 2 black bottoms- swing skirt, slacks, capris
5. Fancier tops with nice necklines that show off your tan and jewelry
6. A maxi or sundress for those evenings out
7. Summer shoes- a neutral wedge sandal, flip flops, flat sandal
8. Fun Summer Jewelry- We can help with this.[products skus=”15SM05, 15SM03, 15S30, 15SM02″ columns=”4″ orderby=”date” order=”desc”]
A Cautionary Tale
For the past few months, I’ve seen a lot of advertising showing gladiator sandals and many Pinterest pins pairing these sandals with the Boho look. Did you ever try taking on a fad, spending your money on an item, only to discover it really did not flatter you, nor did it suit your lifestyle? After shopping with a friend who always goes for the latest hot item, what I noticed was that this style did not flatter my build or leg shape. If I really wanted to achieve a Grecian Goddess look, I’d do it with a different accessory- jewelry.
80-20 Rule: Make the Most of Your Summer Wardrobe
Chances are you have most of the basic items we have listed and if you don’t, then go round out your wardrobe. In these few brief summer months, you want to reverse this percentage and have it be that you make use of 80% of what you own and ditch the neglected 20%. And if you have more than these basic items and wear them, you are ahead of the game – enjoy a wonderful summer with style.